Vice Admiral Martin Connell CBE, Second Sea Lord, with Dinner Committee members, and Trustees of the American Friends of the National Museum of the Royal Navy, at the New York Yacht Club for the 2022 New York City Pickle Night.
About the American Friends of the National Museum of the Royal Navy
The first New York City Pickle Night Dinner was organized by a small group of enthusiastic volunteers in 2004. The objective was to illuminate the relevance of Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson’s career, the enduring significance of the Battle of Trafalgar, and the ongoing importance of the special relationship between Great Britain and the United States. The mission continues each year as enthusiastic attended come from across the seas, and from all over North America.
The dinner also appeals to those who appreciate the importance of naval history. In 2008, the American Friends of the National Museum of the Royal Navy was formed to support the NYC Pickle Night Dinner which also helps to promulgate the rich history of the special relationship between the two nations’ navies.
Support of the National Museum of the Royal Navy has come from proceeds from the Dinner and generous independent contributions, and have supported the following:
- Preservation of the Historic Naval Fleet Fund
- Laptop computers for the Children’s Learning Centre
- Facilitating the transport of an artifact from the September 11 attack on the Pentagon from the National Museum of the US Navy to the National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Support for the new Royal Marines Museum
- Restoration of the Nelson figurehead from HMS Trafalgar
- Restoration of the newly-discovered (2009) cannons from the ship HMS Victory that preceded Nelson’s HMS Victory, and restoration of a gun mount for the new gallery
- Support for the acquisition of a rare Lord Nelson Life Mask made in 1798 which was exhibited at the Naval War College, the US Naval Academy
- Ongoing support of the much- needed restoration of Lord Nelson’s iconic ship HMS Victory, the oldest Navy ship in commission
Board of Trustees
William E. Wells, President
Captain Sally McElwreath Callo U.S. Navy (Ret.), Treasurer/Secretary
Rear Admiral Joseph F. Callo, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
David W. Fleming
Reach us at our New York City headquarters:
25 West 45th Street, Suite 504, New York, NY 10036 USA
Phone: (212) 840-1166